Saturday, March 11, 2006

Getting Well and a Shooting Weekend

I looked out of the window this morning and saw blue sky. I wondered if the weatherman was right for a change. The thermometer mounted outside our living room window read 50 degrees. Woohoo, it is a nice day.

I'm still a little bit sick from whatever crud I picked up, but I got to work yesterday where my boss kept saying, "take it easy today, you look terrible, and oh can you get this done and that and then follow up on another thing." So, work was not fun, but sometime about 2:00 pm yesterday, I suddenly felt a hundred times better.

When I woke up this morning, I actually felt like a human being again instead of a virus's incubator. Couple that feeling with a nice day and what's a gun nut to do? I went shooting.

The operative word in that last sentence is "I." As nature ordains these things, Bill (Yosemite Sam) is now sick. He's moaning in the bed even as I write saying things like, "I feel terrible." and "I'm sick, leave me alone."

So I went to our gun club and shot by myself. Because I'm still slightly ill, I got more tired than I usually would, but I had fun. It felt so good to get out and burn some powder even if I shot only handguns.

I finally took my Model 1912 Steyr-Hahn out. I shot ten shots from it (the ammo's expensive and I really own it as a collector's item). My first shot strayed to somewhere near the Shoot-n-See. I adjusted my sight picture somewhat and hit the center of the Shoot-n-See. After that, I kept the rest of the rounds near the center. It's a very accurate pistol for having minimalist early Twentieth Century military sights. The recoil was very light. I was impressed with it's accuracy and the way it handled. However, loading it with a stripper clip was awkward.

Thanks for all the get well wishes you sent. They worked for me. Keep 'em coming for Bill. Have fun with your own shooting.

No comments: