Monday, February 05, 2007

Weekend, Taxes, and Shane

Bill and I had a languorous, lazy weekend. It’s cold here now and we didn’t go shooting, didn’t take long walks in the moonlight, or much of anything else. Still, it wasn’t totally uneventful and we did a few things that affect our gunnie lives albeit in minor ways.

I updated Ten Ring’s blogroll and will try to do better with keeping it up to date (as I look up and to my left, and slowly cross my fingers). A big welcome to new bloggers. If anyone else wants to exchange links, just let me know.

Bill and I did a rough draft of out Federal income tax. Grrr, such a pain in the butt that is. Our first pass ended up with us owing around $7,000.00! A little more checking, a lot of head scratching, and then finding that we hadn’t subtracted a large deduction, led us to a more accurate guess of a $35.00 refund.

I guess that’s good planning, but I’ll miss not getting a decent-sized refund—even though I know it’s like giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. I usually use it to buy a gun and most often on April 15, BAG (Buy A Gun) Day. Plus, our condo association is trying to hit us up with an assessment for new roofs, Grrr.

We also watched the Super Bowl. No real observations. A couple of funny commercials, but most of them were blech. Bill and I actually liked Prince’s half-time show. I was set to not like it, but I have to admit Prince is talented. It couldn’t have been easy performing in the pouring rain.

We watched a movie or two and for the first time each of us saw Shane. Speaking for myself, I’ve seen pieces of it on television, but never the whole thing. Shane is usually named in the top three of four Westerns ever made. It deserves its accolades. The guns were accurate and the western clothing looked authentic (except for some of the female star’s clothes and hair styles).

Bill and I sat up straight when the main character said something that we both believe in and which we’ve argued many times here; “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

As I said, we had a quiet weekend, but discovered a quote we'll need to put on Ten Ring somewhere.

No comments: