Monday, July 03, 2006

The sun never sets……?

As long as I can remember, I have been an Anglophile. I can’t quite explain why, but I have always been fascinated by English culture and society. So I was thrilled when I got assigned to England as my first assignment in the Air Force. When I arrived there, it was actually like I was returning home. I loved the pub culture and the general environment of the country. But after some time, I began to realize that what I loved was not the England that exists today, but an England of the past, an England that had confidence and would bear any burden, an England that unfortunately no longer exists.

My realization of this is one of the reasons that I am not as outraged as Kim by this bit of tyranny.

This kind of thing is becoming all too common in Blighty. Five years ago, I would have been spitting angry, now I just feel a deep sadness. It’s depressing to see a society and nation you once respected in decline. But in the end, how much pity can you have. England was and still is a democracy. The majority of the people of England voted for the politicians that passed the laws that allowed this travesty to happen.

Some people are fighting against the tide of statism in England, but I suspect it will be futile.

I continue to be an Anglophile and I will visit England in the future, but I will go there to see the glories of England's past and try to ignore the present.

It isn’t futile here, yet. We can still fight and we can still win. We have made a lot of progress over the last 20 years and we need to keep pushing. One way to do this is to refuse to live in a state that requires gun registration and permitting. Come live in a free state like New Hampshire. We need more pro freedom voters here and in other Second Amendment friendly states.

The future is in our hands.

No comments: