Friday, June 30, 2006

A Promise to Myself

When I successfully escaped from the People Republic of Massachusetts, I made a promise that I intend to keep as long as I live. That promise is simply that I will never register any of my firearms, ever again. I will endeavor to live in a place that does not require any registration or Massachusetts style gun control, but if there are ever any national or international laws passed that require me to register firearms then I will Ignore Those Laws.

I am bringing this up due to the UN small arms conference, taking place right now in New York City. In particular this statement by IANSA head Rebecca Peter, via Kim Dutoit.

“I think American citizens should not be exempt from the rules that apply to the rest of the world. At the moment there are no rules applying to the rest of the world. That’s what we’re working for. American citizens should have guns that are suitable for the legitimate purposes that they can prove. I think that eventually Americans will realize that their obsession with arming themselves in fear, in a paranoid belief that they’re going to be able to stave off the ills of the world through owning guns, through turning every house into an arsenal, eventually Americans will go away from that. I think Americans who hunt—and who prove that they can hunt—should have single-shot rifles suitable for hunting whatever they’re hunting. I mean American citizens should be like any other citizens of the world”

Well, Ms. Peters, I for one have no interest in being like any other citizen of the world. I am a citizen of the United States of America and damn proud of it. Our founding fathers fought so the new nation they were creating would be independent of the rest of the world and not under the thumb of various kings and potentates.

Our obsession with arming ourselves and our household arsenals were critical to the lend lease program that helped protect Great Britain from a Nazi invasion.

Our paranoid belief allowed us to stave off the ill of a world ruled by a German, Italian, and Japanese axis.

America is often accused of being an arrogant power. But what about the arrogance of foreign nationals arguing in our largest city on our most important holiday that our freedoms are the cause of the world’s problems.

Finally, it strikes me as the ultimate irony that while our soldiers are fighting and dying to protect our country, Peters and her brethren argue on our own soil to take away the rights that our people have fought so hard to secure.

So Ms. Peters, I will never again register my firearms and I will never abide by your prescriptions.

It will be over my dead body and millions like me before your obscene agenda ever has a chance to pass in this country.

No comments: