Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rememberance

John Wayne died on this day in 1979. I've never hid the fact that I was once liberal and have become more conservative and time and maturity caught up with me.

When I grew up, Wayne was associated with "the Man." We didn't like "the man" even though we had no idea who "the man" was other than "the establishment." We didn't like "the establishment" any better than we liked "the man." We did a lot of circular thinking in those days.

Wayne was seen as this craggy-faced, gung-ho, pistol shooting, pro-establishment man. Liberals did not (and many still do not) see him in any other way. Since then, I've come to appreciate Wayne more as an actor and a human being. In fact, I almost reflexively buy his DVDs now when I see them.

So here's to you, Duke.

No comments: