Friday, July 29, 2005

Zell Miller and the Boston Globe?!?

I can’t believe it. Twice in one week the Boston Globe has surprised me by publishing articles I never thought they’d publish. On Sunday, they discussed a positive role for hunting in reducing out-of-control geese populations. I posted about that article on Wednesday.

Today, they ran an editorial by Zell Miller and he’s in favor of the “Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act,” perhaps better known as the gun lawsuit immunity bill. Miller makes accurate and true statements in his characteristically forceful way. It’s definitely worth a read even it is in the Boston Globe.

I’m a former Democrat as I’ve mentioned here more than once. I wouldn’t be a former Democrat if the party had run Zell Miller instead of that poodle, John Kerry. I wouldn’t be a former Democrat if Bill Clinton had half the integrity of Miller. I would have stayed in the party if it supported the Second Amendment like Miller does. In other words, I respect the man immensely. Besides anyone who can (almost) challenge a journalist to a duel deserves my vote.

When Bill and I attended the NRA convention in Houston this year, we met Miller in a book-signing line. The book signing area had two chairs with a draped frame on three sides with a table as the fourth side. While I was waiting for him to sign his book that I bought he did something that showed his integrity and common sense.

Many people wanted a picture with Miller and he was constantly jumping from the table, pushing through the drapes, and standing by the requester. This was slowing the line down. He got up, slid the table over a foot or two, got a couple of book boxes and stacked them to make a signing platform. He then stood there signing books and meeting everyone face to face. He shook hands, allowed photos and talked to everyone of us as genuinely as he could in a short amount of time. Too many politicians and celebrities would have barred photos, spent less time with people, or had flunkies do the work. He didn’t. It may be a little thing, but it impressed me.

Hey, maybe I need to print up a Zell Miller for President button.

No comments: