Sunday, March 08, 2009

Stop the Train and Let me Off

This has been a strange few weeks. As someone once said, "It's a dark ride." I sit sometimes and stare at the news, at my savings accounts, at where our country is going. It all makes me want to hug myself and rock back and forth. The best reason I don't is fear I would never stop.

We have a president whose staff says he's overwhelmed and not getting enough rest. As if we couldn't see that one coming. Obama's executive experience could fill a thimble with room left in it for my finger.

Our nation's economy is tanking, taking away our life savings. I had a discussion with a few co-workers the other day. I wanted sympathy when I realized that I've lost about $10,000 in my 401(k). They had no sympathy for me. One co-worker is down $30,000 and another is down about $20,000. Somehow I felt better that I lost so little.

There are a few bright spots. Attorney General Eric Holder floated a Assault Weapons ban trial balloon and Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi shot it down. Tickle me pink. I know it's not off the table, but it won't be on the agenda for awhile. My small amounts of silver and gold are worth much more than I paid for them (of course, I'm still buying more).

Here's the thing. I really am wishing the worse for this new, inexperienced, "progressive" president with whom American voters saddled us. He's proved who he is. He wants to radically remake America. He wants government to run/ruin health care, he supports bans on at least some guns, he wants to turn us into what he believes is a caring, sharing, better America.

I don't share his vision. I am a free woman and I stand or fall on my own labor and decisions. I don't want his health care. I don't want his "better America." So, let him and his vision for us fail. In fact, I want an epic fail.

So, what can I do? I can economically go "John Galt." That is, I can withhold the fruits of my labors. I can stop going to restaurants except when traveling. This will hurt the restaurateur, but it also denies the state government sales and meals taxes. I can reduce my spending to essentials like food, guns, ammo, and gold. By doing so, I will reduce the economy by a small amount. I will infinitesimally slow the velocity of money. If enough people do so, we may see a return to governmental sanity.

I never thought I'd want to see a president fail. I never thought I'd say, "I miss W." The administration is about six weeks old, what will I feel in six months or (tremble) six years?

No comments: