Friday, April 07, 2006

Green with Envy Today

Work has once again turned into a roaring, flaming cauldron burning away all my time and energy. It's just not right that I do my usual 40 minute drive home then collapse onto the couch and turn into a spud. I should be out shooting, or reloading, or writing more Ten Ring goodness.

That's why I get a little jealous when I read about professional shooters. For instance, the 30 soldiers of the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) are striving to win Olympic slots. More power to them, I say. Go out and represent our country and "be the best you can be." It's wonderful, I agree, but I'm still a little green with envy.

I know the members of the AMU are soldiers first and foremost. I just wish I had their practice time. The same is true with professionals like Kim Rhode, Jerry Miculek, Doug Koenig, and many others. I would love to shoot the number of rounds they shoot.

While I can envy them, these professionals earned their slots on their teams or their sponsorships. I haven't put in the hours to compete with them despite the thousands of rounds I shoot every year. I'm working at it and one day I dream I'll earn a berth at a competition even though I'm getting older (I'm not talking about standing on the podium--let's keep it realistic).

Meanwhile, I'll put in my 40 hours and keep my dreams alive. Many of my dreams have come true, so who knows about entering a national competition.

Now don't even get me started on professional gun writers/pundits like Michael Bane, Craig Boddington, or others. I can imagine winning a gun competition, but I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to get paid to write about guns. Sigh.

No comments: