Thursday, September 04, 2008

Let's Not Have a "Great Leader"

Sometimes it takes a clown to tell the truth. Penn Jillette, a graduate of a clown college, tells it like it is in a CNN guest editorial. Jillette states,
…I don't think our next president being a great leader is a good thing.

I'm worried about someone smarter than Bush taking over that tremendous power. Charisma and ambition increase my fear exponentially, and a great leader scares me to death.
He goes on to say,

I don't want anyone as president who promises to take care of me. I may be stupid, but I want a chance to try to be a grown-up and take care of my family. Freedom means the freedom to be stupid, and that's what I want. I don't want anyone to feel my pain or tell me to ask what we can do for our country, or give us all money and take care of us.

One of my liberal co-workers asked me what I wanted from government. I told him that I want government to leave me alone.

I want to live free. If I fall flat on my face, I don’t want government to pick me up and dust me off. I can do and have done both. I don’t want government to tell me what property to own or how to use my property unless such use could damage the person or property or peace of another. (For instance, I should be able to shoot a gun on my property, but my bullets must stay on my property and I shouldn’t be doing it at 2:00 a.m. when I have neighbors).

I expect government to pass reasonable laws based on harm to person, property, and peace. However, government shouldn’t protect “peace” by passing laws based on someone being offended. That cuts both ways—someone can be “offended” by gays just like someone else can be “offended” by gun ownership.

The only thing that Jillette said that I don’t agree with is his final statement,

…the only way to waste your vote is to vote!

The stakes are too high this time to not vote. Let’s defeat Obama-Biden, the most anti-gun and probably most anti-freedom ticket ever.

No comments: