- Some criminals start to carry a gun from 9 to 12 years old;
- Nearly 40% of offenders have formal firearms training, primarily military;
- More than 80% practice more than 23 times a year;
- More than 40% had been involved in earlier shooting incidents;
- Offenders fully expect to kill or be killed and have little or no moral or ethical restraints;
- Most carry their guns in their front of their pants without a holster;
- Whatever handgun that is available is their weapon of choice;
- Some have a female companion carry a gun for them;
- Criminals laugh at gun laws.
What surprised me most in the study was the finding about practice and formal training. Too often we gunnies picture criminals as holding their guns sideways, being untrained, and never practicing.
Instead, we see a picture of criminals practicing about twice a month. We find that a large minority of them have professional training. That suggests that those with training are able to teach those who don’t have that training. Also, in a confrontation with more than one criminal, a female may have a gun that she can pass to her boyfriend or shoot you herself.
This is a very clear picture of armed criminals. It is also very sobering. While it is better to face these miscreants armed, remember that they are likely to have real street combat experience and possibly more training and practice than you. As they said on Hill Street Blues, “Let’s be careful out there.”